Friday, February 9, 2007

Cards for Next Class



Here are the first 2 card samples for my upcoming Heat Embossing Class at the scrapbook store next Thursday.

I've decided to make 2 Birthday cards (a Boy and Girl theme) and also 2 generic Thank You cards for this class. So far I've only completed the Birthday cards - must get to work on the Thank Yous this weekend!

I like to use other products even though I am a Stampin' Up! Demonstrator. Teaching classes at the scrapbook store allows me to keep up with current trends and play with lots of other goodies.

I just love Basic Grey paper! The stuff that came out at Christmas - Fruitcake I think it was called - was FABULOUS!

That's what I've used in these 2 cards - Basic Grey Gypsy line. The stripey stuff is called Rom and the floral stuff is called Hippie. The solid coloured paper is Bazzils card stock.

My focus for this class is heat embossing - but not your standard heat embossing. Oh sure we'll be heat embossing greetings but I'd like to take it a step further.

On the girl's card I heat embossed the Hippie paper with SU! Irridescent Ice glitter embossing powder. It makes the paper all shimmery and glittery. Really pretty and girly!

I also heat embossed the greeting (also from SU!) with pink embossing powder for a tone on tone look.

The pink gingham ribbon (SU!) is wrapped around the glitter piece and then threaded through the silk flower and the button.

On the boy's card I stuck to the traditional method of using black embossing powder with a greeting (retired from SU!) and also a line image stamp (retired from SU!). I used a round paper clip - or Clipiola as they are called - with some stitched ribbon (from SU!).
To add an interesting touch to it I coloured in the sailboat image with an aquapainter filled with re-inker (SU! Ruby Red and Bashful Blue).

I found some great Tria aquapainters at OPUS Art Supply that are used by graphic artists and animators. I know I could just touch the tip of one aquapainter to my ink pads to add colour the easy way. But I've discovered that I use a lot of red and blue with my watercolouring and thought I would just have 2 aquapainters filled and always ready to go with these colours. This works for me!
I have plans to do an embossed patterned paper cut out for one Thank You card (along the lines of cloisonne) and something else a little different for the second card. I'll post those pictures when I'm done.

I should tell you that I did an Embossing Buddy experiment - ok it was unintentional. I didn't use it the first time I embossed the sailboat image. I didn't like the way the fine detail black embossing powder stuck to the white paper and then made the image look dirty. I redid it using the embossing buddy and BOY WHAT A DIFFERENCE!
If you don't already have one of these Embossing Buddies - get one! If you do have one - use it! I highly recommend it and won't forget it again!

1 comment:

  1. I like your birthday card - nice to see something "boyish"

    ReplyDelete