Sunday, June 24, 2007

Why Mantra Monday?

I started posting my Monday Mantra a few weeks ago (well almost 2 months ago now!) but I never explained why.

So today I'm going to tell you why.

Mantras (for those that don't know) originated from branches of the Hindu and Buddhist religions and they involve ritual repetition of phrases and texts.

A mantra is a syllable, word or phrase that can be repeated chant-like either out loud or silently in your head.

Buddhists monks spend hours each day repeating mantras believing that this will clear their minds of distracting thoughts and sounds and bring them closer to attaining enlightenment.

Lots of people believe in the power of mantras and use the power of the mantra to make sense of the world, their experiences, their relationships, and to try to improve the quality of their lives.

You may not think that you have a mantra - but even something as simple as "keep calm" repeated over and over can help you to stay focused in a stressful or difficult situation and to keep you on track.

My Monday Mantra is usually something that I've chosen because it fits in with what's going on in my life at the time.

I hope that by sharing this explanation with you and by sharing my mantras with you I can help to brighten your day and give you something to meditate on.

"ommmmmmmmmmmm"

1 comment:

  1. Hi Marie! I'm sorry, I've been sick since Wednesday and just now getting around to checking my blogs & emails...I can't find your email address in order to send you my info - can you email me at pampered_stamper75@yahoo.com

    And that fried ice cream? Yumm!!!! I had some yummy fried oreos this weekend too.

    ReplyDelete