Friday, April 22, 2011

Doily Cards

A Doily is by definition an ornamental mat used to protect fine wood furniture from scratches but with it's openwork it allows the wood to show through.  It was first made by a 17th century London draper named Doiley. 

The originals were hand made crocheted works of art but today you can get pretty much get any size or colour Doily you like made of paper.

I've been seeing a lot of great cards using the paper Doily and thought I'd give it a try.

I picked mine up at the local Wal-Mart and paid $1.97 (CAD) for a package of 30 4 inch circles. 

I saw a card layout that inspired me done by Maile Belles and made up a couple of samples.  Click HERE to see her card.



I thought I'd like the white on white effect of the Doily with the cardbase but now I'm rethinking that and next time I'll use a fun patterned paper as a background for the Doily

Here are some close-ups for you!

 This strip of paper flags is actually a digital image from Jessica Sprague that I snipped along the bottom for a more 3D effect.

What do you think? 
Does this make you want to paper craft with Doilies?

If you'd like to see more Doily inspiration I sugges that you Google "doily cards" and you'll see TONS!

Thanks for popping in today and keep checking for that Blog Candy post - it's coming but I keep getting sidetracked....

No comments:

Post a Comment