Saturday, February 25, 2012

Full Card Photos from my Embossing Folder Class at Scrap Arts

Today I taught an embossing folder technique workshop at Scrap Arts in North Vancouver.

The purpose of this class was to take our embossing folder embossing to the next level and learn some new tips, tricks and techniques.

I focused on 2 basic techniques - "Ink the Folder" and "Ink the Embossing" .

The first card we made used the "Ink the Folder" technique.  Very easy - just ink the top inside of your embossing folder (usually the side with the company name printed on it) with dye ink, make your sandwich and run it through your machine. 

Tip: Some like to use a brayer for this technique but it's really not necessary - you can just swipe your ink pad right onto the folder!

Tip: You can use any combo of ink and paper for this technique but for a 3D effect I really like the way this technique looks when you use different tones of the same colour together.

I used a piece of Certainly Celery and inked SU! Square Lattice with Old Olive ink.
This next card uses the same "Ink the Folder" technique but this time we used Versamark ink, then added some custom gold glitter embossing powder and heat embossed it. 

I guess you could call this Double Embossing with HEAT!

Tip: To make your own custom glitter embossing powder just use a bit of detail glitter and add it to Detail Clear Embossing powder.  It gives you a bit of glitter without too much of the sheen from regular gold embossing powder. I keep mine in a clear container and I shake it before use every time.


To ensure that the embossing pattern matches up I ran the top of the card base as well as a layer of pink cardstock (4 1/4 x 5 1/2) through the Big Shot with the Bloom Dots folder. 

Tip: I find it easy to stack and keep the 2 pieces together but you can use removeable adhesive if you like between the 2 pieces of cardstock to ensure that they don't move while going through the machine.

After I heat embossed the pink layer I cut it down to size (3 3/4 x 5).  I like to do it this way so it doesn't transfer versamark (or dye ink if I'm using that) onto the white card base layer (where I don't want it) and also it gives me a little extra paper to hold onto if I'm heat embossing.  

Tip: Remember to use your anti-static pillow on your coloured cardstock piece BEFORE running it through the folder with the versamark ink.  

And because I know you are going to ask me...this digital image is from Sugar Nellie and it's called Bambino.

Tip: Use a piece of silicone to clean up your glitter mess!  The Big Shot Texturz Silicone mat works really well!


The 3rd card we made used the "Ink the Folder" technique again but this time we did some paper piecing as well.  We started off with a piece of white cardstock and using a glue stick, added some star punch outs. 

Tip: This is a great way to make your own patterned paper and use up scraps!

We inked the Number Collage folder with Crumb Cake (Kraft) ink and ran it through the Big Shot.


The last card we made used the "Ink after Embossing" technique with an OMIT chipboard piece and a bit of dry embossing!

You can make your own custom OMIT pieces with chipboard in any shape you like or custom shaped to match up with your favourite stamps.
For this card I made a rectangle shaped card front sized frame and cut the chipboard with a craft knife.
Tip: If you're using recycled cereal or tissue boxes you may need to glue 2 pieces together to get enough thickness for this technique to be effective.



For this card I ran the white cardstock piece through the Big Shot using the Textile embossing folder and the OMIT piece on top of the folder.

The OMIT chipboard piece goes ON TOP of the folder NOT inside it. 

The sandwich I used in my Big Shot was MPP (multi-purpose platform) with both tabs, then embossing folder with cardstock inside, chipboard OMIT piece on top of the folder, then clear plate on top.

The idea behind this technique is simple - where the sandwich is thicker the embossing will be more prominent, where there is a space there won't be the same pressure leaving an omit area on the piece being embossed.

 
Tip: If you want your OMIT chipboard piece to stay in a specific place or if you are making a lot of the same piece - use removeable adhesive to attach your chipboard to the outside of your embossing folder.

After the piece was embossed we used a stylus and ruler (from the back) to outline the rectangle and give it more definition.

Tip: This technique works well with embossing folders that have more detailed and repetitive patterns.

Swipe your ink pad lightly over the front of the embossed piece of cardstock so that the ink catches on the raised parts only. 
I like using this technique because it gives me control over where I want the embossing and leaves me space to stamp directly on the same piece of cardstock!

.

I hoped you enjoyed this detailed posts and tips! 

Until next time...
Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment